Exploring the new digs!
We've been getting around the areas close to our new home on the eastern shore of Hobart.
The closest beach with surf to us is Clifton beach, about 20 minutes from our house, or 30 from Hobart CBD. There's not much there, a few holiday homes and lots of farms. It's incredibly beautiful, even when it's driving with rain and wind. The water has been pretty damn cold, about 12 degrees celcius, and the air temps the first time I went was only 6. Chilly! Bought the best wetsuit and booties I could afford, and I needed them.

We drove down south to a small town named Huonville for the day and got out of the car to check out the locals
The weather has improved over the last few weeks and there's been some sunny days for the beach, which coincided with the Grandparents arriving! Unfortunately Daddy had to work.
Today was a bit drizzly and wet (surprise! it's Hobart) and we had no real plans, so we ended up at a market in the Hobart CBD (http://farmgatemarket.com.au) which only allows stallholders who have grown or produced their own products. It was great! Good coffee, some hot pig in a bun and lots of organic and locally produced products. I bought some pork-cheek bacon from Ross from The Gourmet Farmer (http://www.matthewevans.net.au/what/gourmet-farmer) and chatted about where to do some hunting (more on that in another post).
Later on after lunch we decided to get out for the afternoon despite the weather which was howling with wind and sudden light rain squalls. Two streets up the hill from our house there's a reserve which becomes bushland for about 20 or 30 acres over the crest of the hill. I bought some new hiking shoes after we left the market this morning so we kitted up and headed our for a couple of hours.

All in all we're really enjoying getting to know the local area!



No comments:
Post a Comment